Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter! Woohoo!

I've started writing this at 11:25 p.m. on Easter, so whether you read this on Easter or not, I hope you enjoy it! This one will be pretty short, as it just kind of popped into my head. Now if I can just remember it...

Right, there it is. Think of something (This is not me talking to myself, but talking to you, just so that you know). Anything. Something, someone, or...uh... something (these list-sorta-things always sound better in threes). Think of someone that's important to you. Think of something that's important in your life. Think of what seems to be an insurmountable situation. Think of what seems to be the inevitability of things to come. Now consider this.



God is greater.

Just think about that.

God is greater.
but it's not just that he's greater. Because God is infinite, and the things here on earth are finite-

God is infinitely greater.

It's not a thought that we can fully grasp, but I think that when we get a glimpse of it, we cannot help but point our lives towards Him. And once God becomes the center, there's no telling what will happen.

Another note: Didn't think this fit well in the section you (hopefully) just read, so I'll leave it here.
Romans 8:37-39 "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (ESV) 

Right before this passage, Paul is talking about if tribulation, distress, persecution, danger, etc. should separate us from God. And then he launches into this image of being more than conquerors

I mean, being a conqueror would be pretty sweet. The image that I get when I think of a conqueror is a guy leading an army, sweeping with ease through the land, defeating all of my foes, and claiming it for whoever I represent. But Paul doesn't say we're conquerors, he says that through Christ we're MORE THAN CONQUERORS. I mean, is that even possible?! This further adds to the image that NOTHING, (or rather nothing) can separate us from the love of God. God will never abandon you in your situation.
This is a bit of a tangent (or a lot of a tangent), but think about the crucifixion. On Friday, InterVarsity had a time of worship, and one of the men leading it painted a graphic picture of what Christ went through. FAIR WARNING: I'M ABOUT TO REPAINT THIS PICTURE, SO IF YOU'RE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THAT, SKIP DOWN TO THE PARAGRAPH AFTER THE NEXT ONE. Under Jewish law, the most flogs a person could receive was 39. However, Jesus was handed over to the Romans, who were methodical, and surgical in their torture/execution techniques. The Roman philosophy was to flog the victim until they could barely carry their own cross to the area of execution. Some sources speculate that Jesus could have been flogged over 100 times.

Once at Golgotha, it was time to nail Jesus to the cross. There's a lot of speculation about the nail placement: some say that the nails were likely driven through the wrists. Others say that the nails were driven through his hands, and arms were tied to the cross. Without the rope to hold his arms, the weight of the body would cause the nail to be pulled through the flesh in between the bones of the hand. No matter, scholars agree that by letting your body, you couldn't breathe, and would be forced to push on your feet to breathe. Such an action would reopen the wounds from the flogging, and create even more pain.

IF YOU'RE SKIPPING, YOU CAN READ AGAIN HERE

 And to think, this probably wasn't the main thing that Jesus was sweating blood about. I think that Jesus was regretting separation from God the most. Matthew 27:46, "'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'" (ESV) A physical death is a high price, yes, but (and now I leap into the land of speculation, and mostly unfounded claims as far as I know) I think it's possible that Jesus died a spiritual death as well. (Note to self: know more Bible to support claims) And to think that he approached the cross, not with regret, nor even hesitation, but with joy (Hebrews 12:2 BOOM, you're welcome for the reference) is an amazing thought.

But, it didn't end there, Jesus returned and CONQUERED THE GRAVE. God didn't have to do any of this. He's GOD. He doesn't need to do anything. But he chose to. And that is the most incredible part of the Gospel.

Wow, this ended up being a lot longer than I anticipated it being. Part two of that other post will be coming out not this week, but the end of next week. Right now, I'm thinking that it'll be about my testimony, but who knows? I might change my mind. Will I? FIND OUT NEXT WEEK!

btw thanksforreading

No comments:

Post a Comment