Monday, May 11, 2015

Dreaming...

First, thank you all again for reading. It really helps to further process thoughts by talking to all of you. If I might not seem so excited/thankful, it's probably because I'm not good at showing appreciation for words of affirmation. However, I appreciate it deeply nonetheless.

Anyways, earlier in the past week (incidentally when I was trying to study), God reminded me of the Moravain movement. I don't think I can do the story complete justice here, so if you aren't familiar with it, look it up for sure, it's an incredible story. But, the general gist goes like this. During the 18th century, a group of refugees (later known as the Moravians) came together and were baptized by the fire of the Holy Spirit.Desiring to keep the fire going, they started a non-stop prayer vigil that lasted
for ONE HUNDRED YEARS. For those of you who might be unfamiliar with the concept of time, one hundred years is a loooooooong time. They had people praying around the clock, taking shifts, across multiple generations. Crazy. About 65 years into this vigil, and this tiny group of people had already sent out about 300 missionaries (maybe not 300, as I only found this number in a few sources, but it was a lot compared to the number of refugees) to all corners of the globe. Some were even selling themselves into slavery in order to reach more people. In other words, they sparked the modern missionary movement. Some of these Moravians ran into John Wesley, and inspired him to go down his journey with Christ, and eventually start the Methodist movement.

Now that we're all caught up, why was God reminding me about this, and while I was so desperately trying to cram for finals? I think it's because he wants a prayer vigil held for the campus of William and Mary. I mean, if he was reminding me of this when I was trying to focus on academics, it must be really important to him. Obviously, one does not simply plan a 100 year prayer vigil, but I think that the number 100 holds a certain amount of significance. Maybe a 100 hour prayer vigil? I'm not sure about much at all, but I know this for sure- God has given me a dream. It's a dream to see the people of this campus renewed, their purpose realized, and identity found. I remember, about a year ago, I was talking with a friend, and he told me to dream big. It was that moment that I realized that I hadn't dreamed for years. No dreams while I was sleeping, no dream for what I wanted to see God do, no dreams for even what I wanted to do. So I prayed for dreams. I guess this is the time that I'm only beginning to see the fruit of that prayer, and God's faithfulness. God is so faithful. It's crazy just how faithful He is. God is awesome.

But yeah, I really believe that a prayer vigil is the first step towards seeing our campus, and the people in it, renewed. I'd like to start with a 100 hour prayer vigil, but that is obviously very difficult to do logistically, and then there's the question of whether there will be enough people. Believe me, I know. I'm not even sure I'll post this because it's so ridiculous. But, I will step out in faith and see what God provides. The Moravians were originally a group of people who were fragmented, coming from various different theological backgrounds. But the Holy Spirit united them, and set them forth on a single purpose- to glorify God. In Williamsburg, there are many churches, and many ministries on the campus of William and Mary. There is value in our differences, but I think there great value in unity as well. Especially when it comes to prayer.

Once again, I have no idea what this will look like, but I ask that you would join me in this pursuit of a dream. So, no matter where you are, if you'd be interested in taking part in something that will revolutionize this campus, please let me know. Please talk to your local churches (whether in Williamsburg or elsewhere), and see if people would be interested in taking part in something. Maybe different local churches will open up their doors for this, or maybe it will be a Google Doc with people signing up for times, and praying at home. Maybe it'll be both. No matter what, I pray that this would happen, and that God would ultimately be glorified.

I hate asking for things, but when God calls, I've gotta answer. Believe me, if I could relinquish the reins on this to someone else, I would. But God called, and so, I've gotta answer. My apprehension towards asking for things is exceeded only by my desire to see an identity revolution take place, and see God glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment