Friday, June 17, 2016

Another day, another chapter

Godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 
          -1 Timothy 6:6-8

It's with a heavy heart, that I let y'all know that I've been academically suspended from the College of William and Mary, and that I've decided to not appeal the decision. Which means that I won't be attending the College of William and Mary this fall, and probably not again for awhile, if ever. Although I am saddened that this has happened, I don't have any (major) regrets.

It's been pretty scary, knowing that I'm about to be thrust into the "real world". I don't know what the
future will look like. I don't know what I'm going to do, I don't know what's going to happen, and I don't know what I'm going to do. Plus, I don't know what I'm going to do. I mean, right now I'm planning on returning to Williamsburg and working for a while, but I don't know what lies afterwards. I want to move someplace, but I don't know where nor what I'll do.

While I don't know what lies ahead, I might as well not let the fear of the future affect my present situation. I mean, no day is guaranteed, so why stress over the future that isn't promised? And I think this is where God is continuing to stretch me, specifically in regards to the verse quoted above.

I don't view contentment as "settling" where I am. I still believe in chasing dreams, pursuing passions, and being ambitious. But for me contentment is being joyful, no matter the situation or circumstances. As far as I know, the best way to attain this is to prioritize "godliness with contentment". When I step back to look at the eternal picture as a Christian, I can see just how much blessing, grace, and mercy has been poured out on me. And with this eternal perspective, I can't help but be joyful and content.

By all means, I do wish that I could still be a student at William and Mary. If not for the degree, then definitely to be hunkered down with my friends studying, hanging out, tossing a disc, or whatnot. But I recognize that this is where I am, and I cannot change how I got here. All I can do is live in the present the best I can, and try to peek at the future.

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
          -Philippians 2:3-4

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear this. You are very courageous in light of this! Even more, your response has been absolutely humbling. I know I would not have reacted in this way.

    ReplyDelete