Thursday, December 8, 2016

Literally in the airport

Thanks so much for all the support and love! I'll do my best to have an update midway, but don't hold your breath. I wrote this the other morning, hopefully it sums up some big things I learned well, I'm too tired to tell right now

I was sitting in our weekly staff meeting. I put my hands on my head in disbelief as I looked at the calendar detailing the rest of the quarter.

Only 10 days?

I sat there, thinking to myself that in ten days I would be solely responsible for the well-being of nine students and my co-leader. The excitement and stress began to rise as the reality of outreach slowly began to sink in.

My mind (in typical Tim fashion) found a tangent to go down, specifically what I was learning this quarter.

I thought back to one of prayers earlier in the quarter: greater humility. Was I humbled this quarter? Whew, absolutely, and then some. When you don't make a whole lot of "wrong decisions", it's easy to think that you're a pretty good person. But God showed me this quarter (and honestly the couple of months prior as well) that instead of making bad decisions, I simply didn't make any decision at all.

God really showed me the depths of my sinful nature, and I saw my desperate need for a savior. And then He proceeded to humble me even more, by showing me another facet of my sinful nature. Ugh, not fun, but entirely necessary.

I thought back to my team, as the meeting continued in the background of my thoughts. Well, if I'm responsible for this team's physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being, then we're in serious trouble.

Emmanuel, God with us, Matthew 28:20, and so on promise that God is, well... With us. Including me. Including my co-leader. Including my team. Including you. And including me.

The reality of outreach continued to sink in, but the stress was lifted off of me. My responsibility is to look after, and disciple the students, as well as to support my co-leader. But above that, my responsibility is to be obedient to God, and walk with Him.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." -Psalms 119:105 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment