Thursday, October 20, 2016

DTS stands for Dancing Tim Song (it actually doesn't, but I have your attention now, right?)

It's been a wild almost two months since my journey as staff with YWAM has started! I can hardly believe that my calling for this part of my life is to solely invest in and serve people, it's such a privilege and honor to be here.

So now that the school has officially kicked off and all of the team info is out there, I can give you the reader all of the details with what's been on the up and up. Loads has happened, so get comfortable, grab some hot cocoa (or ice-cold lemonade depending on the temperature), and maybe a snack too.

Alright, got your provisions? Here we go!



So... what's been happening here? As soon as I got here, I had a few responsibilities. First of all, I was a part of the maintenance crew. Here I worked with a handful of other guys cleaning the property, and fixing various things, as the humid weather tends to wear down everything very quickly. Also I went through DTS staff training. Here I learned about my responsibilities as DTS staff, and got helpful advice moving forward. Topics included transactional vs transformational leadership, confrontation, the co-leader relationship, servant vs abusive leadership, etc. During this time we also had "staff conference". Here we learned about the vision of missions, YWAM, and finally YWAM Maui. And then the students arrived! This school has 25 students (six dudes and... well, you do the math) from all over the world (Austria, Canada, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, and the USA).



The first week was mainly focused on DTS students and DTS staff getting to know each other. We played games, camped, shared testimonies, and ate a LOT of food. Next thing we know, the students are praying over where they feel like the Lord is leading them, among the three locations already specified to them (Indonesia, Philippines, and Thailand). Early into the second week, we announced the teams, and like I said before, I will be co-leading the Thailand team with Susann! Susann and I were in the same SBFM school, which is a huge blessing as I already have gotten to know her a good amount. Getting to know people, especially my co-leader, was a concern for me as I was coming back to YWAM Maui after a nearly two year hiatus. Most of the people that I knew on staff during my DTS and SBFM are not here anymore, and only a handful of my then-fellow students came back on staff. So yeah, already knowing Susann was a huge blessing.



This is our team! In the back: Kassidy, Jeremy, Pascal, me, Susann. In the front: Rachel, Emmy, Alethea, Lexy, Ali, and Madison.

Week Two brought Ben Nonoa teaching on the Father Heart of God, Week Three was Pete Peissner on the Character and Nature of God, Week Four brought Maria Daughtry teaching on Hearing the Voice of God, and this week has been Jeremy West bringing knowledge on Identity. Each week brought valuable teaching, but for me personally, the most valuable time has been outside the class. It's been such a joy hanging out with the students, learning more about each of them, and already seeing God work in them.

It's hard to articulate what a blessing this has been, but I'll try all the same. I came into this from a place where I entered a "spiritual leadership" position, and I felt like I honestly failed. I didn't connect well with the students in my small group, didn't disciple... I felt out of place. So, not to compare, but I walked in discouraged, and feeling ill-equipped to be in a place of "spiritual leadership" (I still feel uncomfortable associating that word with myself, even if it is true).

I mean, we'll see where I stand in a few months, but connecting has been easy (if tiring at times), and discipleship has been... happening? I don't really know what it is to "disciple well" other than to constantly point to Christ, but yeah, it's happening

I think that the lesson that I've been learning is that being in the place of spiritual leadership pushes you closer to Christ. I have no wisdom from myself to offer... all of the wisdom I might possess comes solely from Christ, and Lord knows I need more. It's not in the place of comfort that we become aware of our fallen and finite nature. So, as uncomfortable as things may be, I'm so thankful that God is using this time to stretch, grow, and humble me

I think the other lesson that has been hitting me hard is that my decisions are... due to the lack of words I can recall, I'll say important. As the speaker this week said, "Your decisions, not your intentions determine your destination." Yes, the Holy Spirit convicts, and makes all things possible. But I also believe that there is something powerful in walking in the opposite spirit of things that you are struggling with. So often do I struggle with indecision, which often results in inaction.

Now, I don't believe in salvation through works. The speaker shared this quote, "...grace is not opposed to effort, but to earning." - Dallas Willard, and said, "Legalism says discipline makes you more valuable, but discipleship says it makes you more useful." If I am to call myself a disciple of Jesus, I'm gonna emulate Him.

One of my favorite athletes is Tom Brady (stick with me), because he's such a competitor (before you mention Deflategate, you can't deny his ability to decipher defensive schemes and... well that's not the point here.) At 40, he's reaching the end of his ability to play football, but he's doing everything to take care of his body and put the Patriots in a position to win. His whole life revolves around the game. According to his personal chef, Brady's diet consists of zero white sugar, white flour, or MSG. That kind of competitiveness is crazy.

But do we do the same? Paul says that as an athlete trains his body, we should train ourselves in godliness. Do we reject the sight of temptation the way Tom Brady might reject a cookie? It sounds extreme, but is there a better cause to be extreme or crazy for? Loren Cunningham has a talk called, "Let's Go Barefoot". I'd highly recommend it, as it really challenged me to lay down my rights, and revealed more of the selfishness nature of my heart. That doesn't sound like fun, but it's so reassuring. The more my finite and fallen nature is revealed, the greater revelation of God's glory and grace I receive. The more I fall short, the more I see how far God reaches.

The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete. He must increase, but I must decrease. -John 3:29-30

No comments:

Post a Comment