Thursday, September 8, 2016

A New Leadership Perspective

It's been a very odd two weeks, but so the same I'll do my best to sum it up. For the first week and a half, I felt like I was back on the east coast, that Sadler was just around the corner (College of W&M reference). But the past couple of days have been incredibly strange. It's felt as if I've been here a long time, and have spent several months getting to know people. Feels almost as if I've never left. I guess that's what happens when you live in community and see people ten times as often as compared to in college.
Anyways (trying to do my best to stay on "topic"), I've learned so much in this short time already, but I think I've learned the most about leadership.

Tom, the base leader of YWAM Maui, spoke to the DTS staff about what godly and abusive leadership each look like. For godly leadership, he pointed us to 1 Peter 5:1-8 (shoutout to Mama K for the wisdom and pointing me to the same passage before I even got here).
To the elders along you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ's sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, watching over them-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble." Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (NIV)
Whew, there's a lot there. Eagerness. Heart for serving. Example. Submission. Humility. Casting anxiety on God. Alertness.
As we talked about the passage more, the main theme that seemed to show up (or the theme that resonated most with me) was that a godly leader needs to have humility. Or in other words, security in his/her identity and subsequent purpose in Christ.
Very quick note: this is not to say that an unbeliever can't be a good leader, but in all likelihood their identity/purpose is not as stable as that of a Christian, and with enough button-pushing that foundation can be rocked. Additionally, I believe that by denying Christ full-access to your life, you're denying your true identity and purpose. I believe that identity and purpose can only be defined by someone in a seat of authority. And as we are all people under the mercy of God, I would trust the identity and purpose that God speaks over the word of any person. But now I'm getting off track (as usual).
I've seen how insecurity in my identity in God has manifested in some of my relationships with family, friends, and even mere acquaintances. I've been frustrated, tempted to lash out and put somebody in their 'place'. Regardless if said action is justified, it's still not the appropriate response. I've been given so much grace, permitted to live and even claim to be a child of the Most High King. Can I claim to be or even know any better than anyone else? Regardless of what might be true, I turn that over to God to determine.
Why should I be bothered that someone is not investing in me?
Why should I be frustrated that someone isn't listening to me?
Why should I be annoyed that someone doesn't rejoice with my successes? Or acknowledge my failures?
Why can't God's grace be enough for me?
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment