Monday, October 5, 2015

I hope this goes over well...

Wow. I realize I started my previous post with the same word, but still... wow. I honestly am having a hard time believing that all of that just happened. All I did was write a blog post about the crazy dream, and wasn't even the first person to social-mediafy it. A few weeks before this event, the Google Doc barely had any sign-ups. But then, just a week ago or so, I looked again at the Google Doc, and was shocked to find only five or so slots not signed up for.


A few of my closing thoughts...

-Act/pray with the expectation that God will act. In Acts 3, we see Peter tell a lame beggar to walk.
At no point before this do we see something where Peter's spirit is moved, or a piece of knowledge get delivered. All we see is Peter boldly (see what I did there?) tell this man to walk, and he walks! We are called to have the faith of a child, and I think this is what this means. A child does not ask for something, expecting to get a no.

-I continuously pray that this would not be the end, or just an event, but the beginning of change- that this would spark something inside each of us, and create a longing for change on this campus. I pray that we would dream of God’s kingdom coming down on this campus, and have the faith to see it through.


So, what now? Well, here comes crazy idea numero dos.

We start worshiping and praying all over campus. [Not sure how this would look, so any practical-minded people would be much appreciated]

This is much less an event, and more so the realization of a dream I suppose. At the end of last semester, someone talked about worship breaking out on campus, and people stopping to pray for one another. In the last few hours of the 100 Hours of Prayer, I just thought, “Why not?” As in, why isn’t there worship breaking out on campus? Why aren’t we stopping to pray for one another?

I think that we've been convinced that people will push us away, and call us Jesus freaks if we choose to express our faith more. My experience (so far) has proven otherwise. I have been active with my faith, and have worshiped before playing frisbee with some of my friends, and they don't push me away. I think (a lot of) people on this campus realize that if they call out others to be tolerant, then they themselves must also be tolerant.

I think it’s a lie that has spawned complacency, and stifled our ministry. Please don’t misunderstand me- I do not mean this to be an absolute and say that there is no ministry nor outreach happening. No, people are finding Jesus, and Jesus is at work.

But I think that so much more can happen. The enemy doesn’t have to work as hard, because many of us have come to accept this lie, and be okay with the norm. We need to attack the enemy, and force him to rear his ugly head.

To me, this is an unproven area that many of us hold to be true. It’s a shadow.

You see, we all let our lights shine during large group, church, quiet times, maybe even praying before meals. But by only actively shining our lights in specific areas of life, the rough landscape of life creates shadows- places where the light has not been reached. In order to reach that area, we need to be willing to take our light to different places, and take off the bowl that is covering it.

So, that’s why I propose that we create a lifestyle of worship and prayer. Get with some friends before a test and pray. Take a study break to worship. I don't know, anything/everything. 

I know that Jesus said that we are to pray in our rooms privately. But I think that this was in response to the Pharisees who prayed in public just to show people how 'pious' they were. I think we need to be willing to pray in public. Not for our glory, but because we've gotta believe in the power of prayer. We could see people getting healed, and ridiculous things happen to this campus. But do we have the faith to believe?

If Jesus is to be glorified in all  areas of our lives, then it needs to be evident. Why should we wait passively, and tentatively for Jesus to come down to Earth, when we are called to be the forerunners of the coming of the Kingdom of God?


P.S. I really don't mean to be too offensive. But we've got to stop pretending, and fooling ourselves that Jesus was nice to every person that He met. To the people of that time, and honestly now, He'd look crazy- flipping tables, violating social norms (fasting some days, but violating the Sabbath kind of stuff), etc. If we are to be "little Christs" (Christians), then we should seek to look more like Him. Which might mean we look a little crazy in the process. The question is- are you sold out for Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment